Not even 3 weeks into the trump administration and his flurry of executive orders and his relentless twitters are causing chaos all around the world. We are watching our country devolve into a fascist held dictatorship and it appears there is no way to stop it.
Yes we are protesting all over the nation but they are making those protests out to be paid for and disgruntled losers. We are watching congress pass bill after bill to tear down our government. After the farce of a confirmation of Betsy devos, immediately a republican introduced a bill to eliminate the department of education and last friday the same republican introduced a bill to eliminate the environmental protection agency.
The outright corruption of this administration is disgusting in itself but the republicans who are ignoring it are worse. I am very worried for our country.
What then can we do? Anyone who knows history can see clearly what is happening. I thought it would be good to include the 14 defining characteristics of fascism. So here it is:
Characteristics Of Fascism
By Dr. Lawrence Britt
Source Free Inquiry.co
- Dr. Lawrence Britt has examined the fascist regimes of Hitler (Germany), Mussolini (Italy), Franco (Spain), Suharto (Indonesia) and several Latin American regimes. Britt found 14 defining characteristics common to each:
- 1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism – Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia. Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays.
- 2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights – Because of fear of enemies and the need for security, the people in fascist regimes are persuaded that human rights can be ignored in certain cases because of “need.” The people tend to look the other way or even approve of torture, summary executions, assassinations, long incarcerations of prisoners, etc.
- 3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause – The people are rallied into a unifying patriotic frenzy over the need to eliminate a perceived common threat or foe: racial , ethnic or religious minorities; liberals; communists; socialists, terrorists, etc.
- 4. Supremacy of the Military – Even when there are widespread
- domestic problems, the military is given a disproportionate amount of government funding, and the domestic agenda is neglected. Soldiers and military service are glamorized.
- 5. Rampant Sexism – The governments of fascist nations tend to be almost exclusively male-dominated. Under fascist regimes, traditional gender roles are made more rigid. Divorce, abortion and homosexuality are suppressed and the state is represented as the ultimate guardian of the family institution.
- 6. Controlled Mass Media – Sometimes to media is directly controlled by the government, but in other cases, the media is indirectly controlled by government regulation, or sympathetic media spokespeople and executives. Censorship, especially in war time, is very common.
- 7. Obsession with National Security – Fear is used as a motivational tool by the government over the masses.
- 8. Religion and Government are Intertwined – Governments in fascist nations tend to use the most common religion in the nation as a tool to manipulate public opinion. Religious rhetoric and terminology is common from government leaders, even when the major tenets of the religion are diametrically opposed to the government’s policies or actions.
- 9. Corporate Power is Protected – The industrial and business aristocracy of a fascist nation often are the ones who put the government leaders into power, creating a mutually beneficial business/government relationship and power elite.
- 10. Labor Power is Suppressed – Because the organizing power of labor is the only real threat to a fascist government, labor unions are either eliminated entirely, or are severely suppressed.
- 11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts – Fascist nations tend to promote and tolerate open hostility to higher education, and academia. It is not uncommon for professors and other academics to be censored or even arrested. Free expression in the arts and letters is openly attacked.
- 12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment – Under fascist regimes, the police are given almost limitless power to enforce laws. The people are often willing to overlook police abuses and even forego civil liberties in the name of patriotism. There is often a national police force with virtually unlimited power in fascist nations.
- 13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption – Fascist regimes almost always are governed by groups of friends and associates who appoint each other to government positions and use governmental power and authority to protect their friends from accountability. It is not uncommon in fascist regimes for national resources and even treasures to be appropriated or even outright stolen by government leaders.
- 14. Fraudulent Elections – Sometimes elections in fascist nations are a complete sham. Other times elections are manipulated by smear campaigns against or even assassination of opposition candidates, use of legislation to control voting numbers or political district boundaries, and manipulation of the media. Fascist nations also typically use their judiciaries to manipulate or control elections.
- From Liberty Forum
Although trump convinced his cult followers that he would clean up washington and stop the control of elites- since he is one of those dreaded elites and he is filling his cabinet with the most wealthiest people we have ever seen, it was quite the lie that he sold his followers.
I call them a cult as they have no real basis in reality for trusting that a billionaire businessman and reality star would actually care about what happens to them. Like all cults it takes a good con man to actually sell his followers to trust him no matter what. Trump is a very good con man and has convinced his followers that if they only elect him to office then he will make ‘america great again’. Of course his idea of what will make america great is not what his followers think. He means that he will make america run and owned by the very elite that he convinced his followers he was not.
When you look at his cabinet and notice that 4 retired generals are part of that cabinet and the fact that he plans to keep his own security with secret service also, it’s not hard to see the possibility of a dictator taking over control of our government.
I wish that I didn’t feel this overwhelming sadness at what any sane person can see is happening-
I know – my headline is rather dramatic but it’s how its feel. Never in my life (in my 60s) have I seen a campaign like this one, much less a president-elect who acts like Trump. We have evidence of a foreign power interfering with our election and the FBI who also purposely interfered in the election process and yet everyone acts like thats not really a big deal. You know- the comments like get over it- trump won and stop being a baby- trump won. Actually Trump did not win- he lost the popular vote by close to 3 million votes and won the electoral college by the 48th lowest in history. Now he meets with foreign diplomats and ceo’s of large corporations including the Tech industry and includes his grown children in these meetings. He refuses to distance himself from his extensive holdings all around the world and refuses to stop having his grown children involved in presidential meetings.
Now he wants to control who can be involved in white house press and who sits where and who will be allowed to cover the white house. He wants to elect a retired general who only retired 3 years ago and since by law it has to be 7, of course the republicans included in a must pass bill a waiver allowing him to elect this general. There will be no checks and balances in our government. Every member of his administration that he is picking is in favor of eliminating the department they will control. His Sec of State has extensive interests in Russia and will see great profit by working with russian oil corporations. The pick for dept of energy sits on the board of the oil corporation trying to cross indian reservation property in N Dakota.
So, yes we are watching the demise of our country and seeing the trump cult followers cheer madly for that demise.
What happens when a foreign country tries to influence our election and the president elect laughs it off and says that he is smarter than our CIA or other intelligence gathering officials? There is clear evidence that russia played a role in our elections and also clear evidence of the close ties that trump and his ‘cabinet’ have to russia. Yet the trump cult followers back trump and claim that it’s all liberal lies because Clinton lost. One commenter today on a site i visited claimed that russia is a such a good country and we should all be happy to be ‘friends’ with them. When i commented that the intentions of a dictatorship is not a friendly country i was called an ignorant child and after all it was clinton that was bad and only trump can save our country.
His pick for sec of state is the ceo of Exxon oil and also has investments with russia on oil projects. We are watching the sale of our country to the highest bidder and the trump cult followers are cheering it on.
There are days when I feel like we went down the rabbit hole into Alice in wonderland or an episode of twilight zone. Of course having a reality star run his campaign like a reality show just makes it even more surreal.
How did we get here? Is it the failing of our education coupled with a media that is nothing but propaganda for corporate interests? Is there anything we can do as citizens to mitigate the coming chaos?
So i am back to my original question what happens when the president elect says he is so smart that he doesn’t have to listen to our countries intelligence gathering operatives?
There have been now 5 times that the popular voted candidate lost the electoral college vote, but never has the popular vote been this much of a discrepancy. The closest would have been gore who won almost a million more popular votes than bush but still lost the electoral college vote.
It has effectively silenced our voice and given a louder vote to those states that are given more electoral votes than other states. This is an atrocity and needs to be fixed before it happens again. Just like with bush Jr , the people voted for the best candidate and our country suffered for the choice of the electoral college vote win.
Somehow I think that this time will be even worse for our country judging by the cabinet that trump is creating. There are several retired generals being put into positions of power and that is not a good thing. There is a reason why the military is not part of the civilian government because in too many cases that leads to military takeovers of government..I and not saying that will happen but hey- I never thought that there would ever be a man like Trump elected as president, so anything is possible.
I think its time for the peoples voice to count and to eliminate the archaic electoral college and let popular vote decided the race. That way everyone’s voice is equal- one voice equals one vote. We no longer have slave states with few voters or remote states with few voters and that is just one more reason to eliminate the electoral college. Hopefully by next vote that will be changed.
With our very first paycheck we have medicare and SS taken out thus making these two programs one that we pay into and not an entitlement that the government can just take away or privatize. Yet the president elect has appointed Price to the position that would have the ability to destroy our healthcare options including Medicare.
I wonder if all those elderly people who voted for trump actually realized what they were doing. Yet it appears that the trump cult followers still are in awe of the ‘idol’ they helped elect. Do you think that awe will still be there when they see the actions of a republican held congress (actually the house has been held since 2010 and the senate since 2014} with a republican president who is creating a cabinet of the most rabid right wing people?
Ryan has for years wanted to privatize medicare – we would still pay for it but get much inferior care and cost way more. Good for the richest but not so good for the majority of us. Of course now they say that they will just eliminate the ACA and possibly replace it down the line. So now along with making medicaid a block grant to the states and repealing without replacing the ACA, they now want to eliminate medicare as we now know it.
Elections have consequences and its sad that those who voted for trump and those who refused to even vote are now going to be rather surprised at what they voted or didn’t vote for to happen.
Of course actually the people chose Clinton with a 2.5 million votes more than Trump-our antiquated electoral college was won by trump- but that’s a subject for another blog.
Peace and stay involved please
It has been celebrated as a federal holiday every year since 1863, when, during the American Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national day of “Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens,” to be celebrated on the last Thursday in November.