I think the biggest mistake anyone can make at this time is to consider this normal. Its not normal to have a president conduct foreign policy using his twitter account. Its not normal to appoint people to cabinet positions who wish to destroy the department they now head. Its not normal to have an administration with provable ties to a foreign government and its not normal to have a party in congress who are also tied to that same foreign government and try their hardest to foil any investigations. Its not normal for a president to give over control of the military to the military and not be in control of which country to bomb and what to use. Is not normal for a president to go every weekend to a business he owns and then charge the government for the secret service for the golf carts they need to rent and then charge the government for their food and lodging and have all that money go into trump coffers. None of this is normal.
Its not enough to protest and blog and email and call our congressional
reps and senators- We need to keep saying over and over that this is not normal.
We need to take a stand and stick up for what is right and for the programs and institutions that we count on. We need to call out the media for normalizing any of this.
Its only been a hundred days and already one botched raid
on yemen and missles on Syria and the biggest bomb short of nuclear on Afghanistan and now warships on their way to N. Korea.
We are watching the most corrupt administration our country has ever seen and the destruction piece by piece of our government.
THIS IS NOT NORMAL
Peace and may your easter holiday be one of joy
Continue reading “THIS IS NOT NORMAL”
In the future historians will look back on this time much like the time of Hitler. Am I saying that trump is Hitler- no but this is a time much like then with the possibility of wars and global depression caused by a man that should never been allowed to be president. I think it says it best that when Merkel from Germany met with Trump, the media described Merkel as the head of free countries and not our idiot of a president.
Its not just our country that is going down a dark path as it started with Bruit in the UK and with the rise of right wing populists like LePen in France and the rise of ruthless dictators like Putin in Russia and Turkey and Egypt to name a few. The election in the Philippines of an idiot much like Trump also adds to the instability of our world.
The use of fear and racist feelings to govern is not new and it has been seen in the past and it never ends well.
Sometimes I just want to bury my head in my covers and ignore what is happening but of course that won’t help. Its important to resist what is happening and to use the advantages of social media and the internet which enables me to write this blog and to educate others of the coming perils of the age of Trump.
We can not be silent and we can not just sit idly by and think everything will be okay because its not okay and its only going to get worse. We can learn from history and not make the same mistakes hopefully.
Resist and join the different resistance groups available. I blog on some other sites and have joined several Facebook resistance groups. I love reading and researching so use the internet often.
For years I have sounded the alarm that we were becoming a fascist held government, but I truly hoped I was wrong. I wasn’t and in fact it appears to be speeding up and those in power are not even trying to hide it.
I believe that the reason they don’t try to hide it is because they count on faux news to placate their followers to keep them in line. We have never ever seen an election cycle that this last election was. Never have we seen our government be in collusion with a foreign power to elect a president and at the same time have a controlling power in congress actually cheer it on and refuse to even really investigate the ongoing scandal of russia and the trump administration. Just today the head of the intelligence committee said that there was no concern at the interference of russia and that instead we should be happy for their interferrence and we should be ‘friends’ with a government ruled by a ruthless dictator.
So, now the question is- what do we do now? How do we combat this and be successful? The republican party that controls not only our congress and president but also a majority of the states are downright giddy at the prospect of selling our government and country to the highest bidder and to be able to strip all money and services from the masses while they allow corporations to rape and pillage our country for their own gain.
It is theorized that it only takes 3.5% of a country’s population to effectively take down a dictator or a fascist held government like ours is. We are seeing nationwide protests but at the same time multiple states are working to make it illegal to protest. Our media is 95% owned by only 5 major media corporations and they are not in favor of the people but instead all about what is good for the wealthy few and large corporations which means that they will use propaganda and faux news to keep the people in line.
I live on the west coast so we don’t see the active destruction caused by republicans in their states but what happens in the federal government does affect us. How long till they are successful in silencing any truthful media and criminalize all protests? For myself I will continue to resist and continue to join with like-minded people to continue sounding the alarm. Hitler gained complete power within 5 months and in only less than 2 months look at what has already transpired under trump and our republican held congress.
We can’t give up or allow our voice to be silenced and we must keep trying to educate those that are in a bubble of faux news and propaganda and continue to resist.
I found the following posting on my Facebook feed and it really spoke to me so I thought I would pass it on:
This is a calling like none we have ever seen before in the history of our country. It is not a calling of conservatives, liberals or independents, but of all Americans. A calling for Americans of all backgrounds, ages, and races to rise in defense of one America. Throughout our history we have fought many battles and defeated external threats to our republic and democracy. For the first time in our history we are faced with an internal threat from our own president. An internal threat from a president who refuses to release his tax returns because it would expose his lies and corruption. A president whose vindictive narcissism determines his every word, action and tweet. A president and an administration that would stoke the fires of hate, anger and fear in turning us against each other to create a vacuum void of hope they would fill with authoritarianism and a dictatorship.
Let us not forget who we are. We are Americans and everything it means to be an American. We are mostly a nation of immigrants and our strength has always been in our diversity. Upon that common ground we embrace the core values of our Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. Our love of freedom has always been the bond that has held us together, moved us forward and made us unique. Our power has always been our belief, faith and commitment that we are one nation where all people are created equal with liberty and justice for all.
The loss of all of this and who we are can and will happen as it has in other cultures if we do not heed the call. “United we stand, divided we fall.” has never rung more true. Rise. Rise up. Answer the call. ~ Gary Borgnis, #ChooseTruthOverTrump, #Resist, #Persist, #AnswerTheCall (Feel free to copy, paste and share my post.)
Now more than ever we need to band together and fight to keep our country . It only took Hitler 5 months after he was duly elected by the people for him to take control as a dictator.
Not even 3 weeks into the trump administration and his flurry of executive orders and his relentless twitters are causing chaos all around the world. We are watching our country devolve into a fascist held dictatorship and it appears there is no way to stop it.
Yes we are protesting all over the nation but they are making those protests out to be paid for and disgruntled losers. We are watching congress pass bill after bill to tear down our government. After the farce of a confirmation of Betsy devos, immediately a republican introduced a bill to eliminate the department of education and last friday the same republican introduced a bill to eliminate the environmental protection agency.
The outright corruption of this administration is disgusting in itself but the republicans who are ignoring it are worse. I am very worried for our country.
What then can we do? Anyone who knows history can see clearly what is happening. I thought it would be good to include the 14 defining characteristics of fascism. So here it is:
Characteristics Of Fascism
By Dr. Lawrence Britt
Source Free Inquiry.co
- Dr. Lawrence Britt has examined the fascist regimes of Hitler (Germany), Mussolini (Italy), Franco (Spain), Suharto (Indonesia) and several Latin American regimes. Britt found 14 defining characteristics common to each:
- 1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism – Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia. Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays.
- 2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights – Because of fear of enemies and the need for security, the people in fascist regimes are persuaded that human rights can be ignored in certain cases because of “need.” The people tend to look the other way or even approve of torture, summary executions, assassinations, long incarcerations of prisoners, etc.
- 3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause – The people are rallied into a unifying patriotic frenzy over the need to eliminate a perceived common threat or foe: racial , ethnic or religious minorities; liberals; communists; socialists, terrorists, etc.
- 4. Supremacy of the Military – Even when there are widespread
- domestic problems, the military is given a disproportionate amount of government funding, and the domestic agenda is neglected. Soldiers and military service are glamorized.
- 5. Rampant Sexism – The governments of fascist nations tend to be almost exclusively male-dominated. Under fascist regimes, traditional gender roles are made more rigid. Divorce, abortion and homosexuality are suppressed and the state is represented as the ultimate guardian of the family institution.
- 6. Controlled Mass Media – Sometimes to media is directly controlled by the government, but in other cases, the media is indirectly controlled by government regulation, or sympathetic media spokespeople and executives. Censorship, especially in war time, is very common.
- 7. Obsession with National Security – Fear is used as a motivational tool by the government over the masses.
- 8. Religion and Government are Intertwined – Governments in fascist nations tend to use the most common religion in the nation as a tool to manipulate public opinion. Religious rhetoric and terminology is common from government leaders, even when the major tenets of the religion are diametrically opposed to the government’s policies or actions.
- 9. Corporate Power is Protected – The industrial and business aristocracy of a fascist nation often are the ones who put the government leaders into power, creating a mutually beneficial business/government relationship and power elite.
- 10. Labor Power is Suppressed – Because the organizing power of labor is the only real threat to a fascist government, labor unions are either eliminated entirely, or are severely suppressed.
- 11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts – Fascist nations tend to promote and tolerate open hostility to higher education, and academia. It is not uncommon for professors and other academics to be censored or even arrested. Free expression in the arts and letters is openly attacked.
- 12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment – Under fascist regimes, the police are given almost limitless power to enforce laws. The people are often willing to overlook police abuses and even forego civil liberties in the name of patriotism. There is often a national police force with virtually unlimited power in fascist nations.
- 13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption – Fascist regimes almost always are governed by groups of friends and associates who appoint each other to government positions and use governmental power and authority to protect their friends from accountability. It is not uncommon in fascist regimes for national resources and even treasures to be appropriated or even outright stolen by government leaders.
- 14. Fraudulent Elections – Sometimes elections in fascist nations are a complete sham. Other times elections are manipulated by smear campaigns against or even assassination of opposition candidates, use of legislation to control voting numbers or political district boundaries, and manipulation of the media. Fascist nations also typically use their judiciaries to manipulate or control elections.
- From Liberty Forum
Although trump convinced his cult followers that he would clean up washington and stop the control of elites- since he is one of those dreaded elites and he is filling his cabinet with the most wealthiest people we have ever seen, it was quite the lie that he sold his followers.
I call them a cult as they have no real basis in reality for trusting that a billionaire businessman and reality star would actually care about what happens to them. Like all cults it takes a good con man to actually sell his followers to trust him no matter what. Trump is a very good con man and has convinced his followers that if they only elect him to office then he will make ‘america great again’. Of course his idea of what will make america great is not what his followers think. He means that he will make america run and owned by the very elite that he convinced his followers he was not.
When you look at his cabinet and notice that 4 retired generals are part of that cabinet and the fact that he plans to keep his own security with secret service also, it’s not hard to see the possibility of a dictator taking over control of our government.
I wish that I didn’t feel this overwhelming sadness at what any sane person can see is happening-
I know – my headline is rather dramatic but it’s how its feel. Never in my life (in my 60s) have I seen a campaign like this one, much less a president-elect who acts like Trump. We have evidence of a foreign power interfering with our election and the FBI who also purposely interfered in the election process and yet everyone acts like thats not really a big deal. You know- the comments like get over it- trump won and stop being a baby- trump won. Actually Trump did not win- he lost the popular vote by close to 3 million votes and won the electoral college by the 48th lowest in history. Now he meets with foreign diplomats and ceo’s of large corporations including the Tech industry and includes his grown children in these meetings. He refuses to distance himself from his extensive holdings all around the world and refuses to stop having his grown children involved in presidential meetings.
Now he wants to control who can be involved in white house press and who sits where and who will be allowed to cover the white house. He wants to elect a retired general who only retired 3 years ago and since by law it has to be 7, of course the republicans included in a must pass bill a waiver allowing him to elect this general. There will be no checks and balances in our government. Every member of his administration that he is picking is in favor of eliminating the department they will control. His Sec of State has extensive interests in Russia and will see great profit by working with russian oil corporations. The pick for dept of energy sits on the board of the oil corporation trying to cross indian reservation property in N Dakota.
So, yes we are watching the demise of our country and seeing the trump cult followers cheer madly for that demise.